Wi-Fi Driver/Firmware Engineer (Boston OR Seattle)
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Use your knowledge of C, Linux kernel mode development, and network device drivers to bring up new prototypes and future Sonos products on the latest, highest performing wireless networking hardware.
- Use your understanding of IEEE 802.11, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and network organization and routing algorithms to improve the performance and scale of the Sonos wireless network.
- Work with the rest of the embedded software development teams to understand the audio streaming application software being built on top of WiFi, and suggest ways in which the higher-level software may make most efficient use of the underlying network.
- Work closely with the Hardware and Platform Software teams to optimize Sonos platform performance, maintaining our market position as the most advanced audio hardware system in the world.
- BS or MS in EE, CS, Mathematics, or related discipline.
- Proficiency in C
- 5+ years of experience developing, optimizing, and maintaining embedded systems
- Demonstrated experience in either:
- Linux kernel development and debugging.
- IEEE 802.11/wireless or mesh networking.
- Experience working directly with external vendor(s) to integrate and troubleshoot issues with chips and drivers.
- Experience using formal development processes and tools.
- Track record of shipping reliable, extensible and maintainable software.
- Experience leveraging your curiosity to solve problems in innovative ways.
- Experience effectively communicating your ideas verbally and over Slack (or email, Confluence, etc).
- Not a stranger to working in a fast-paced, results oriented environment, in fact, you thrive in it.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.