Sr. User Researcher
Department: Design and Creative
Location: Santa Barbara, Seattle
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Gather and prioritize key questions from the product team to help define, plan, and execute the research from concept testing through the evaluative phase.
- Partner with Product Managers, User Experience, Industrial Designers, Data Analysts and the Beta team to plan and ensure the research is impacting product decisions.
- Based on research insights, build and document fundamental knowledge of the Sonos software experience to create product design principles.
- Bring together the world of qualitative and quantitative data to provide a holistic view of the problem and tell a cohesive user story.
- Coach designers and product managers in conducting their own research projects.
- Be an advocate for the Sonos customer and product research.
- 5+ years of experience conducting, presenting and leading user research projects at an agency, in-house or both for technology companies, consumer hardware and/or mobile software products and systems.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating expertise in multiple research methods applied to varying goals and outcomes.
- Experience executing research in agile software development with an understanding of how design research fits in an agile framework.
- Excellent communication skills with a special focus on creative ways to tell the story of research insights and projects in a memorable and engaging style.
- Comfortable with multitasking and adapting to an ever-evolving, energetic environment and collaborating with teams across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Masters or PhD in technology, design or in a field of human behavior is preferred.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.