Sr. Tooling Engineer
Boston, Other US, Santa Barbara
Be part of a revolution as the Tooling and Process Engineer at Sonos.
As a Tooling and Process Engineer you will be responsible for delivery and validation of lead fabrication tooling designs for new product developments. You will work with Mechanical Engineers, Supply Chain Management and Supply Quality Engineers to identify supply base vendors, fabrication technologies and create tooling designs to deliver high volume, high value consumer products with demanding cosmetic requirements.
Our band is large. And while there’s plenty of room for all kinds of personalities and skill sets to succeed, there are certain qualities that will help you thrive here.
Like a never-accept-less work ethic. An exceptionally low ego-to-talent ratio (none of the first, tons of the latter). A relentless craving to push past your limits and try new things. The smarts and the humble confidence to take on big challenges, make mistakes fast and early, embrace tough feedback, then recover quickly with fresh, startlingly perfect solutions. A fearless willingness to defend great work. And a tendency to totally geek out on music.
If this sounds like you, read on and let’s connect soon.
Using your extensive experience, you will investigate and implement industry best practices in tool design, construction and validation across a range of material and process requirements including plastic molding, metal part fabrication and decorative processes. You will directly manage the design, development and qualification of tooling designs required to deliver new product designs and support manufacturing capacity.
• 10+ years tool design and fabrication experience.
• Deep understanding and experience with injection molding processing and implementation.
• Experience with tight tolerance tooling and resolving out of spec issues.
• Experience in plastic molding, metal casting, metal extrusion and metal stamping.
• Knowledge of secondary processes such as machining and decorating (anodizing, plating, painting).
• Strong material knowledge of plastics and metals.
• Proficient with the use of DFM, GD&T, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques.
• Experience in tooling design qualifications utilizing Mold Flow software or equivalent.
• Experienced working with supplier plants in Asia and training their engineers to utilize new tooling materials and fabrication techniques.
• Frequent travel to Asia (sometimes with little notice).
• Managing multiple development programs with overseas suppliers.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience with the delivery of high volume, high quality consumer electronics.
• Engineering management or program management background.
• Knowledge and experience using Pro/Engineer or Seimens NX solid modeling.
• Six Sigma certification.
• Fluency in Mandarin is a plus.
Apply now and if there is a good match we'll reach out.
In 2002, we set out to reinvent home audio for the digital age. Our mission–to fill every home with amazing sounding music. Yes, it was an ambitious goal. Challenging, too. And that hasn’t changed.
Since those early days, we’ve remained tirelessly focused on finding innovative ways to make listening out loud, with friends and loved ones, the truly transformative experience it should be. We’ve seen our vision capture the imaginations of music lovers in more than 60 countries, as we’ve continued to introduce products, software, and technologies that help people share the songs they love, discover new music they never knew existed, and experience richer, more musical lives.
At Sonos, we are building a team with extraordinary talent to help us fill every home with music. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.