Sr Manufacturing Development Engineer
Department: Product Operations
Location: Boston, Santa Barbara
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- You are recognized as a key member of a global operations team where you are a partner with PD/ID and a bridge to our manufacturing supply base.
- You work closely with Product Development teams to ensure design for excellence (DFX) as new products are conceived and architected.
- You are able to conceive and architect complex assembly jigs & fixturing to achieve seamless alignment of design critical parts.
- You are working closely with suppliers and local engineering teams to develop efficient and repeatable assembly processes, with proficient skills in the areas of adhesives, plastic-welding, screw driving.
- You are identifying opportunities for assembly automation and other process efficiencies.
- The sub-assembly and final assembly processes you have developed maintain exceptionally high yields in mass production.
- You have built highly effective partnerships with China based manufacturing and supplier-based engineering teams enabling almost seamless introduction into manufacturing of Sonos products.
- You are building and maintaining relationships with key integrators and suppliers to bring innovative assembly solutions to product development teams whether they are needed now or for advanced development.
- Your extensive knowledge and experience allows for ensuring that your PD partners can make accurate predictions of realistic assembly tolerances between assembled parts.
- As an expert in assembly process development, you are mentoring other team members.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering.
- 7-10+ years experience in manufacturing process development of high volume mechanical assemblies.
- Deep experience in DFX analysis, application and measurement with focus on assembly, manufacturability and service/repair.
- Proficient skills in adhesive dispensing & curing and ultrasonic-thermal-IR welding of thermoplastic parts.
- Proven ability with kinematic jig & fixture design.
- Knowledge in machine controls, inspection vision systems, and part handling automation.
- Willingness to travel frequently to China, expected 15%.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional product engineering teams in assembly equipment development, PFMEA application and process qualification.
- Experience manufacturing in China is a requirement.
- Deep experience in DOE, GD&T, STA and Six Sigma.
- Knowledge of DFMEA, PFMEA, Control Plans, SPC.
- Consumer electronics experience is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of mechanical part level processing techniques (CNC drilling/machining, paint application and ink printing) is helpful.
- Experience in 3D CAD modeling, specifically Siemens NX is a plus.
- Passion for music is a bonus!
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.