Sr. Industrial Designer, Packaging (Experience & Visual Design)
Department: Design and Creative
Location: Santa Barbara
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Apply your 2D and 3D expertise and skills to help create, refine, and communicate superior structural design intent that uphold or improve the packaging experience platform.
- Create volume models, structural prototypes, dielines and renders to communicate Sonos’
- point of view on unboxing experiences.
- Experience with various packaging substrates such as SBS, Corrugate, Rigid box
- Experience with packaging manufacturing and print technologies
- Provide clear, focused direction (i.e. design brief, sketches) to drive programs and initiatives
- Further develop our sustainable packaging exploration and initiatives to deliver on our Sustainability KPIs
- Aesthetic sensitivity: Ability to consistently deliver and innovate design concepts that express a strong eye towards form and function, attention to detail and conceptual clarity. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to draw upon contemporary trends in a way that results in aesthetic unboxing experiences for the holistic packaging system (exterior and interior).
- Creative thinking: Ability to think creatively and critically across a range of problem types while keeping sight of the “big picture” goals. Additionally, the right candidate will have a genuine interest in working across problems that touch upon industrial design, packaging, interaction design and brand in a manner that reinforces the Sonos design and brand promise.
- Organizational skills: Candidates should be detail-driven and seasoned in navigating packaging interaction and development processes for volume production: tracking schedules, program aims and manufacturing considerations while striving to deliver compelling packaging experiences that support premium products.
- BA or BS in the field of Industrial Design, Packaging Engineering or other related Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of 4-7+ years experience in designing premium retail packaging in a corporate or
- consulting team environment
- Experience in delivering premium packaging solutions for worldwide markets with a focus in the areas of consumer electronics, domestic appliances, beauty, or other related CPG industries
- Proven ability to develop & resolve design concepts through sketches, mock-ups, & models; from 2D to full 3D prototypes
- Proven ability in developing packaging structures for volume production and manufacturing
- Experience interacting and effectively communicating with internal partners & 3rd party vendors throughout the design development process
- Proficiency with software such as Adobe CC, G-Suite or MS Office, Keyshot, Artios, Solidworks, Siemens NX, or similar
- Able to travel approximately 10-15% annually (nationally and internationally)
- Must have a portfolio available for viewing.
- Understanding of impacts of packaging materials and design solutions on Colors, Materials and Finish for product
- Ability to maintain aesthetic sensitivity from concept to manufacture without losing the spirit of the original packaging design intent
- Ability to multitask, work quickly, accurately, but take time for reflection and innovation
- Demonstrated ability to translate trends and culture into compelling products.
- Strong command of American-English is critical, a second spoken language is a plus
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.