Sr. Industrial Designer, Design Development
Department: Design and Creative
Location: Santa Barbara
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Apply your 3D modeling expertise and skills to help create, refine, and communicate great design solutions that uphold or improve the industrial design intent.
- Work across multiple programs to support the resolution of design intent from front-end exploration through detailed development.
- Interpret design intent in a way that expresses a high level of understanding of form, function, visual composition, and conceptual integrity.
- Contribute to early concept exploration, visualization, and presentations when needed.
- Ensure design data is well organized, maintained, tracked, and made easily accessible to team members
- BA or BS in Industrial Design or a BS in Mechanical Engineering, or other related Bachelor's Degree OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5-10 years of related professional experience in a corporate or consulting design team environment.
- Experience in designing, developing, and shipping retail products for worldwide markets, with a preferred focus in the area of consumer electronics & domestic appliances.
- Expert-level knowledge and skills in a 3D modeling software package(s). Examples: Siemens NX, Catia, SolidWorks, Rhino, Alias, and etc.
- Proven ability to develop & resolve design concepts through sketches, mock-ups, & models; from 3D prints to full appearance models to early prototypes.
- Ability to create and evolve 3D design models, and data that achieve the highest level of design quality, and can be easily used & referenced by both other design team members, and the various engineering & other cross-functional teams involved.
- Experience interacting and effectively communicating with internal partners & 3rd party vendors throughout the design development process
- Able to create compelling visualizations using 3D rendering software such as KeyShot or similar.
- Expert-level knowledge and skills with Siemens NX, and Windchill (or other PLM software)
- Proficient in the use of 2D design software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Proficient understanding, and interest in general CMF development, and of current materials, manufacturing, & finishing processes and trends for consumer electronics
- Ability to maintain aesthetic sensitivity from concept to manufacture without losing the spirit of the original design intent
- Demonstrated ability to translate trends and culture into compelling products.
- Experience in designing smart audio products.
- If not already proficient at it, demonstrate a willingness to learn Siemens NX as the primary 3D modeling tool while at Sonos
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.