Senior User Researcher, an Exploratory Research role
Department: Design and Creative
Location: Boston, Santa Barbara
- Portfolio Planning to provide a product management view of market opportunities
- Creative Technologists to provide technical context and guide project development
- User Research to deliver an understanding of human needs, behaviors and aspirations
- Design to unite team efforts with design practices to generate proposals tested with users
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Bring focus to emerging needs and behaviors in ways that yield actionable insights.
- Deploy insights to develop hypotheses the team can mature into design proposals and product recommendations.
- Create innovative and flexible research techniques that balance proven methods with experimentation.
- Embed yourself in XP projects while maintaining a connection to Product User Research, enabling you to identify connections that place XP work in a wider context.
- Act as a connector between XP teammates and Sonos Go-To-Market colleagues; specifically the work of the Customer Insights team, including data analysts.
- Scope research projects and manage outside vendors.
- Clearly and persuasively communicate project findings and the reasoning behind them to internal stakeholders.
- Play the role of storyteller to communicate user needs in ways that resonate, connect with and motivate internal audiences.
- 10+ years driving strategic user research projects at an agency, in-house or both for technology companies, consumer hardware and mobile software products and systems. Other examples might include, but are not limited to, packaged goods, healthcare, and entertainment.
- Bachelor's degree; post-graduate degree in a related discipline a plus.
- You have demonstrated success creating products and/or services informed by human behavior and customer needs: experiences that ignite positive and meaningful emotions in users.
- You have a vital mix of qualitative and quantitative methodologies; expertise combining large data collected from systems with other research streams a plus.
- Experience using research to help organizations discover and develop strategic opportunities.
- You can show from experience the role user research plays in driving business outcomes from identifying customer needs.
- You have a proven track record of selecting the right mix of methods to answer questions and address business goals, and are comfortable inventing methods when the right one doesn’t exist.
- Your tool kit includes user insights and trends research, iterative prototype evaluation, concept testing, lab-based user testing, and field research.
- You must be able to travel to 25% annually, both domestic and international.
- 5+ years leading research efforts for cross-functional teams steeped in prototyping methods and approaches.
- Comfort with multitasking in an ever-evolving, energetic environment and working with teams across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Your communication, presentation, analytical, and interpersonal skills are mature and advanced. You possess the unique ability to describe complex concepts clearly and persuasively to different audiences, and you are an ardent advocate for the user.
- You have experience helping cross-functional partners unite around common interests. You’re biased towards action, and most importantly are comfortable with ambiguity.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.