Senior System Software Engineer
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Work as a team lead as well as an individual contributor in Sonos’ roadmap product development.
- Participate in new CPU SoC, micro controller, communications processor and device controller bring-up in a cross-functional setting.
- Provide industry leading software system platform design and implementation.
- Leverage vendor SDKs and open source software to expedite development process.
- Assist EE and RF teams in debugging hardware designs.
- Develop, execute and document system software unit and integration test plans.
- Passionately doing all of the above!
- 5+ years of experience.
- Expert understanding of the C programming language.
- Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing performance critical software in resource-limited environment such as device drivers for high-speed peripherals.
- Demonstrable experience with Linux kernel internals including primitives for locking, mutual exclusion and the various contexts under which kernel and user space code execute.
- Demonstrable experience with RTOS based software development.
- Familiarity with the internals of open source boot-loaders such as U-Boot.
- Familiarity with file-systems for use on eMMC/NAND and NOR flash (e.g. JFFS2).
- Experience with ARM processor architectures, including privileged-mode operations.
- Experience with building and using open source toolchain components such as gcc, GNU binutils, and gdb.
- Experience in using various debugging techniques including JTAG debuggers.
- Experience with modern subsystems and peripherals including but not limited to DDR SDRAM, NAND Flash, PCIe, SDIO, Ethernet, i2c, i2s, WiFi, BT Classic, BLE and LTE.
- Experience in performing system profiling.
- Ability to comprehend schematics is strongly preferred.
- Thorough understanding of Linux TCP/IP implementation.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.