Senior Software Engineer - First Experience
Platforms and Infrastructure
Boston, Santa Barbara
At Sonos, we're passionate about creating the finest audio experiences in the world for our customers. Potential customers want to see and feel that experience first hand as they make their buying decisions. An epic first experience is what makes people realize what Sonos is all about, and you’re just the one to build it.
Come help us build out the next generation platform for the Sonos retail experience. You'll have a direct impact on the business, advancing a major component of our core strategy.
In this role you will be building the hardware and software that makes up that retail first experience. The fundamental basis of both is an operations-first mindset, because it’s not an epic first experience if the systems isn’t working. You are an outstanding engineer that knows how to put together an architecture that works. This role will be working with a team to build that architecture and then implement the software that drives the Sonos demo on top of that platform.
You’ve got to be able to go full-stack in a place where full-stack means putting hardware together all the way through writing web-based demo software.
If you love music, solving challenging software problems and doing things the right way every time, we’d like to talk to you!
Our band is large. And while there’s plenty of room for all kinds of personalities and skill sets to succeed, there are certain qualities that will help you thrive here.
Like a never-accept-less work ethic. An exceptionally low ego-to-talent ratio (none of the first, tons of the latter). A relentless craving to push past your limits and try new things. The smarts and the humble confidence to take on big challenges, make mistakes fast and early, embrace tough feedback, then recover quickly with fresh, startlingly perfect solutions. A fearless willingness to defend great work. And a tendency to totally geek out on music.
If this sounds like you, read on and let’s connect soon.
• Understanding how the Sonos product works both inside and out in order to make it sing in remote, sometimes disconnected retail locations.
• Design reliable and flexible hardware for use in multiple retail environments.
Continuously enhance existing applications to support new features and add new user requirements while maintaining compatibility with your install base
• BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with 10+ years of experience.
• You’ve shown you are capable of designing fault-resistant systems that just work in difficult environments like retail.
• Your code reads like prose. It is a masterpiece of simplicity and flexibility. You think about operational excellence from the start; it is built into everything you do.
• Strong troubleshooting skills with a “zero tolerance” attitude towards defects and an ability to understand relationships, cause and effect within larger systems.
• Decisive, action-oriented individual who learns quickly, works independently, and takes ownership of open issues.
• Good understanding of modern network technologies including DNS, Content Delivery networks, public and private clouds. You can read through a network trace and know what’s supposed to be happening, and can find the problems when it isn’t.
• Collaborative spirit and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Embedded/Real time system experience with an aptitude towards using and understanding CE devices
• Experience with data analysis to identify and root cause potential issues.
• High degree of familiarity with bash shell scripting and working in Unix environments.
• Experience on Scrum teams in an Agile development environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Basic understanding of digital audio and video.
• A maker mentality.
Apply now and if there is a strong match, you'll be invited for a first phone interview with one of our recruiters.
In 2002, we set out to reinvent home audio for the digital age. Our mission–to fill every home with amazing sounding music. Yes, it was an ambitious goal. Challenging, too. And that hasn’t changed.
Since those early days, we’ve remained tirelessly focused on finding innovative ways to make listening out loud, with friends and loved ones, the truly transformative experience it should be. We’ve seen our vision capture the imaginations of music lovers in more than 60 countries, as we’ve continued to introduce products, software, and technologies that help people share the songs they love, discover new music they never knew existed, and experience richer, more musical lives.
At Sonos, we are building a team with extraordinary talent to help us fill every home with music. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.