Senior Packaging Engineer
Location: Santa Barbara
You're not like everyone else.
You bring a unique perspective to the table. Transparency tops your list of values. Your smarts and creativity are off the charts, matched only by your humility. You want to collaborate with a team of diverse talent. You proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You're ambitious and unafraid to make mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You don't stop until you get it right. "Impossible" isn't in your vocabulary. You're more interested in creating the future than waiting for it.
You love to listen.
You start every interaction from a place of listening and seeking to understand. You're culturally connected. You remember your first concert. You can readily recommend a binge-worthy show on Netflix, Hulu or HBO. You can't sit in traffic without a great audiobook, podcast or album. You can make a killer playlist. Your idea of a good weekend includes watching a movie or playing a video game.
- Develop and implement packaging designs for Sonos products and accessories. Balance a positive unboxing experience, protection, containment, brand communication and cost-effectiveness.
- Use knowledge of packaging materials, manufacturing process and transportation testing to deliver exceptional packaging solutions against demanding design requirements.
- Interface and collaborate with multiple internal teams like Packaging Design Experience, Industrial Design, Product Management, Sourcing, Manufacturing, Marketing, Brand, and Quality, and external partners (contract manufacturers, suppliers and consultants).
- Be responsible for the development and approval of packaging engineering drawings, specifications and packaging assembly bills of materials (BOMs).
- Generate and maintain weekly packaging development updates within the packaging engineering team.
- Manage multiple project streams and communicate regularly with program teams and to various levels of management.
- Keep “green” in mind when developing packaging by advocating and promoting responsible materials.
- Work closely with US and Chinese suppliers on co-development and execution of designs.
- Be a proficient user of the Kongsberg cutting table for iterative design prototyping and of packaging laboratory equipment – drop tester, vibration table and environmental chamber.
- Attend industry-related symposiums, trade shows and workshops to keep abreast of the latest technology trends in Packaging. Share key lessons learned with the broader Mechanical Engineering team.
- B.S. Degree in Packaging Engineering or Science.
- 8+ years of industry experience with a company utilizing packaging engineering and testing skills.
- Expertise with International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) testing specifications.
- Hands-on experience with packaging testing equipment, drop tester, vibration, compression, environmental chambers.
- Experience with structural packaging design software such as ArtiosCAD.
- Experience with 3D CAD design software such as SolidWorks, NX or equivalent.
- Experience troubleshooting technical challenges and managing them through resolution.
- Ability to multi-task, work quickly, and communicate accurately and effectively.
- Ability to work comfortably individually as well as within a team environment.
- Ability to travel up to 30% annually, mainly to China.
In 2002, Sonos set out to reinvent the way people listen at home. The wireless home sound system we created makes it easier than ever to fill any and every room with music, podcasts, TV, and just about anything else you could ever want to hear-all with brilliant, immersive clarity. Since then millions of people in over 60 countries have made Sonos part of their lives.
Today we remain focused on innovation, thoughtfully designing products, inventing new technologies, expanding our software platform, crafting the best sound experience and making a positive social impact in the world.
We're empowering people to listen better because listening builds understanding and drives change. It even increases happiness and brings people together. Simply put, listening leads to a better life. (We've got the data to prove it.)
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.