Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Shanghai, Shenzhen
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
Product mechanical design ownership from design concept to high volume production
· Development and execution on new mechanical architecture and materials
· Creation of models/prototypes to articulate design concepts, evaluate functionality, and understand early structural performance
· Close and collaborative partnership with mechanical, electrical & industrial design team in the US on design details and refinement
· Detailed design and 2D documentation of all parts and assemblies
· Calculate factors like tolerance, dimensions, and thermal and structural analysis
· Development of manufacturing processes, tooling concepts and functional & cosmetic specifications by working with external vendors and internal manufacturing teams
· Travel to support build activities including finding root cause for failures and solutions for issues that impede build progress. Approximately 30~50%.
· Bachelor's and/or Master’s degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering; Product Development; acoustical product related design or similar and 6+ years of relevant experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical engineering and ability to employ sound project management.
· Mechanical Design – Expertise regarding mechanical development and design change processes and related documentation.
· Strong working knowledge of CAD/CAE tools (Preferably with Siemens NX 11.0 or greater).
· Demonstrated strong ability to successfully lead the completion of major programs, processes and/or projects.
· Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to focus efforts, overcome obstacles and complete key objectives.
· Flexible approach to work and the ability to adapt to change
· Continuous learner that seeks out challenges to improve skills.
· Innovative “out of the box” thinker that gets things done.
· Team-minded with ability to build excellent working relationships with colleagues and vendors.
· Good written and verbal English and Chinese communications skills
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.