Senior Audio Systems Engineer
Location: Boston, Santa Barbara
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Own the sound quality of a product from inception to mass production
- Lead the audio system design for our loudspeaker products including defining the architecture, determining component specifications, conducting sound tunings, and validating that the design meets targets
- Partner with the entire product development team to ensure superior system performance (DSP team, acoustics team, amplifier team, digital electronics team, system software and mechanical teams)
- Collaborate with production test teams at contract manufacturers abroad to design high quality, high volume production test procedures
- Interact closely with the Industrial Design team to ensure synergy between product design and audio performance
- Work cross functionally with product management to set performance and BOM cost targets
- Be a knowledge expert in relevant emerging technologies in the acoustic and audio industries; actively look for new and innovative ways to improve the sound experience for our customers
- Be a passionate advocate for everything that makes our products sound better!
- A BS or MS in acoustics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics or an equivalent discipline
- Knowledge in audio system integration
- Solid understanding of acoustics, transducer design and digital signal processing
- Demonstrated ability to deliver excellent products under a tight deadline
- Decisive, action-oriented team player who learns quickly, drives innovation, and takes ownership of open issues
- Experience with a variety of acoustic test equipment such as CLIO, Klippel, SoundCheck, Audio Precision, etc.
- Experience using simulation tools such as LEAP, MatLab, COMSOL, etc. to model and predict audio system performance
- Excellent critical listening skills
- Personal passion for sound quality and music; active musicians a plus!
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.