Radio (RF) Engineer
We are looking for a Radio Engineer with a combination of demonstrated RF/wireless design, test and sustaining engineering skills to join our growing team.
Sonos has a Continuing and Sustaining Engineering (CaSE) team dedicated to refreshing the feature set and improving the gross margin of our products as part of a strategic company initiative. Challenges include: finding and testing ideas for product improvements, keeping up with ever-expanding manufacturing volumes, improving yields and driving down costs, improving product reliability and sustainability, and enhancing manufacturing reproducibility.
Your role will be to design, test, implement and support product redesign and cost-reduction projects in addition to supporting traditional sustaining responsibilities such as failure analysis, component qualifications and performance improvements. You must have broad radio frequency engineering knowledge - at both the component and system level - and a working knowledge of WiFi and other international radio standards. This role will include hands-on engineering work, comprehensive RF system testing and direct interaction with our contract manufacturers. It is also important that you are technically inquisitive and internally motivated.
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Design, test, implement and support product redesign and cost-reduction projects.
- Support traditional sustaining responsibilities such as failure analysis, component qualifications and performance improvements.
- Execute radio system performance tests on highly integrated wireless transceivers designed for high frequency/data-rate applications.
- Travel to our China-based suppliers and contract manufacturers to support product builds and resolve technical problems as required. Occasional travel outside China.
- Analyze high-priority field failures and persistent production test failures. Drive troubleshooting and testing to find the root cause of failures and resolve them. Act as a technical liaison between the USA-based Radio Development team and RF component vendors located in China.
- Provide “lessons-learned” feedback to the Product Development team and participate in design reviews to ensure the next generation of Sonos products are even better.
- Partner cross-functionally with Quality, Customer Service, and Compliance Engineering teams to fully understand the user experience and any design change implications.
- Work directly with the Compliance Engineering team to understand the impact of design changes on our product’s compliance with regulations and international standards.
- Drive continuous improvements in test processes, including reliability and repeatability metrics, by interfacing with our Manufacturing Test and Manufacturing Quality teams.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of RF/wireless design, test and sustaining engineering work experience and demonstrated technical abilities. Other important qualifications include:
5-10 years of radio engineering experience, preferably in product development of consumer electronics.
Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to understand system-level issues.
Strong knowledge of RF development and RF test best practices with an excellent understanding of RF components, ICs and radio systems.
Strong knowledge of WLAN 802.11n/11ac. Knowledge of other technologies like Cellular GSM, EDGE, CDMA, Bluetooth/BLE is a plus.
Basic knowledge of electromagnetic compliance regulations and standards.
Ability to propose, set up, and execute design validation test plans with minimal guidance.
Experience with a wide variety of test equipment including: spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, programmable power supplies and data loggers.
Familiarity with coding or scripting for RF test equipment is highly desired.
Knowledge and experience with schematic entry and PCB layout tools is a plus.
Experience with data collection and statistical analysis methods.
Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, to recognize the level of urgency of problems and ability to prioritize tasks.
Technically inquisitive – must be able to take on new technical challenges and learn new technical skills on-the-fly, applying the knowledge gained to solve the issue at hand.
Well-developed reporting skills (written technical communications), including the ability to summarize complicated issues.
Able to demonstrate proficiency in English, using both verbal and written methods.
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or similar technical discipline is required.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.