Principal Validation Engineer - Embedded Systems
Sonos is on a mission to inspire the world to listen better. We’ve designed a seamless home music experience. Now we strive to empower listeners, everywhere. We focus on building easy to use systems but keeping things simple and bug free is not without challenges. The problems are complex, and the solutions must be elegant.
Sonos needs high-energy, innovative engineers to help fuel our rocketing success. We are setting new standards for the audio industry and reshaping the way consumers engage with music. As a Principal Validation Engineer in the System SW group, you will work in a small, fast moving environment to support board bring-up and validate various low level drivers and library API’s. Prospective candidates will help design and lead test automation development to run on target and/or off target devices. This will require collaboration with your partners in Development and Quality to help define and execute the test strategies in order to deliver high quality products. In addition, you will work with teams of industry-leading innovators across acoustics, mechanical engineering, software engineering, hardware engineering, and user experience. If you love music, solving challenging problems and delivering high-quality products, we want to talk with you!
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Collaborate with members of the System Software board bring-up team to deliver features that are implemented, tested, and documented at the end of each sprint.
- Advocate software quality within Sonos with emphasis on design process, development, testing and deployment of software releases and HW releases.
- Mentor junior members of the team to expand their knowledge on advanced topics.
- Drive the planning and execution of system level testing of products across all platforms to test various features.
- Investigate, log, track, and triage bugs to determine root cause and establish prioritization.
- Extensive experience in board bring up testing of embedded systems with experience in standard software development life cycle.
- Experience in programming with of one or more of the following languages – C/C++, Python
- Strong knowledge and verification of peripherals and BSP provided by vendor.
- Strong knowledge of Linux in both kernel space and user space.
- Strong understanding of communication protocols (I2C, SPI, USB, Ethernet etc)
- Experience in secure boot testing in embedded systems.
- Hands on experience with GDB or any other debugging mechanisms for white box testing
- Experience in reading schematics and being able to develop automated tests using external hardware
Hands on experience with GDB or any other debugging mechanisms for white box testing
Experience in using tracing tools to help debug board bring up issues.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.