Patent Agent, Intellectual Property Group
Location: Boston, Santa Barbara, Seattle
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Prepare exceptionally high quality patent applications with a focus on detail and technical thoroughness
- Manage the preparation of multiple patent applications simultaneously with competing priorities to best drive value for Sonos
- Work collaboratively with inventors to deeply understand technical details and to develop alternative embodiments
- Prepare and review invention disclosures and advise on patentability
- Prosecute a docket of U.S. patent applications directed to important SONOS product innovations
- Work closely with SONOS’s IP team members to develop and execute on patent portfolio strategy
- Interface with innovators across all SONOS groups regarding technical features, product details, and the patent process
- Manage and drive multiple underlying systems and processes related to ongoing operation and success of team
- Perform other duties as they arise
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- 2+ years patent prosecution experience within a law firm
- Strong knowledge of USPTO and PCT regulations and systems
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage a large preparation and prosecution docket
- Exceptional writing skills
- Strong analytical, research, organizational, and management skills, detail-oriented and results-oriented
- Exceptional interpersonal communication (both written and oral) skills
- Experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in-house
- Experience managing patent portfolio operations in-house
- Experience practicing in-person at the USPTO as a patent examiner and/or prosecuting agent
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or equivalent
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.