Manufacturing Design Engineer
Boston, Santa Barbara
Join the revolution that is delivering the best audio experience in the world as a member of the team responsible for product level assembly and manufacturability of Sonos next generation speakers.
Starting from the early engagement phase of programs and continuing through to mass production, you will engage with Product Management, Industrial Design, Acoustic, Mechanical, Electrical, and Test Engineering teams as they develop new product concepts. Bridging these concepts, developed in the US, to the supplier and contract manufacturer partner base in China as well as local Sonos engineering resources, your charter is to develop assembly techniques for our most challenging gap/step or critical alignment features of a developing speaker design.
Ranging from sub-assembly to final product assembly these solutions will support growing high volume demand with uncompromising accuracy, repeatability and efficiency.
You will care passionately about product quality and functionality, and if youre a music lover thats all the better!
Our band is large. And while there’s plenty of room for all kinds of personalities and skill sets to succeed, there are certain qualities that will help you thrive here.
Like a never-accept-less work ethic. An exceptionally low ego-to-talent ratio (none of the first, tons of the latter). A relentless craving to push past your limits and try new things. The smarts and the humble confidence to take on big challenges, make mistakes fast and early, embrace tough feedback, then recover quickly with fresh, startlingly perfect solutions. A fearless willingness to defend great work. And a tendency to totally geek out on music.
If this sounds like you, read on and let’s connect soon.
• You are recognized as a key member of a global product development team where you are a partner with PD/ID and a bridge to our supply base.
• You work closely with Product Development teams to ensure design for manufacturability (DFM) as new products are conceived and architected.
• You are able to conceive and architect complex fixturing to achieve seamless alignment of Design critical parts.
• You are working closely with suppliers and local engineering teams to develop efficient and repeatable assembly processes.
• You are identifying opportunities for automation and other efficiencies.
• The Sub-assembly and final assembly processes you have developed maintain exceptionally high yields in mass production.
• You have built highly effective partnerships with China based final assembly teams enabling almost seamless introduction into manufacturing of Sonos products.
• You are building and maintaining relationships with key integrators and suppliers to bring innovative solutions to product development teams.
• Your extensive knowledge and experience allows for making accurate predictions of realistic tolerances targets for a given gap or step between assembled parts.
• Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent with 10+ years experience. - Proven ability in final assembly process development.
• Proven ability with kinematic fixture (machine) design.
• Experience with high volume production is a necessity.
• Deep knowledge in machine vision, machine control, and part handling automation.
• Willingness to travel frequently to China.
• Proven ability to lead cross-functional product engineering teams - Experience manufacturing in China is a requirement
• Deep knowledge of part level processing techniques (CNC, stamping, etching, ect) - Deep experience in DOE, GD&T, STA, JMP, Minitab and Six Sigma
• Track record of cost reduction, project management and engineering design. - Knowledge of SPC, quality systems, DFMEA, PFMEA, DFx etc.
• Experience in design engineering a plus.
• Passion for music is a strong plus!
Apply now and if there is a strong match, you'll be invited for a first phone interview with one of our recruiters.
In 2002, we set out to reinvent home audio for the digital age. Our mission–to fill every home with amazing sounding music. Yes, it was an ambitious goal. Challenging, too. And that hasn’t changed.
Since those early days, we’ve remained tirelessly focused on finding innovative ways to make listening out loud, with friends and loved ones, the truly transformative experience it should be. We’ve seen our vision capture the imaginations of music lovers in more than 60 countries, as we’ve continued to introduce products, software, and technologies that help people share the songs they love, discover new music they never knew existed, and experience richer, more musical lives.
At Sonos, we are building a team with extraordinary talent to help us fill every home with music. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.