As a software engineer responsible for diagnostics and manufacturing test working as part of the hardware organization, you are a highly skilled software engineer that thrives in new product development environment and being up close and personal with hardware and are familiar with high volume consumer electronics manufacturing process and the factory environment. You will be responsible for developing low level device drivers, boot loaders and the hardware diagnostics necessary to bring to life new Sonos products. You will also have to be comfortable taking new ideas and implementing them as advanced prototypes…doing things with software and hardware that have never been done before. You will be a member of a team that is setting new standards for the audio industry and reshaping the way consumers engage with music. You will innovate every day in our fast paced, creative company and help take Sonos into an even more remarkable future. You will work independently as well as with a team of industry leading innovators in other engineering fields such as acoustics, mechanical, software, hardware, RF, and user experience. If you love music, solving challenging problems and doing things the right way every time, we would like to talk to you!
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Contribute to the development of evolving architectures for high performance hardware diagnostic critical for high volume manufacturing.
- Collaborating with US software team on new feature development.
- Work directly with the hardware engineers to define new processing platforms and bring them to life.
- Develop reusable and portable drivers for audio and communications peripherals.
- Debug and isolate complex low level problems where the lines between software and hardware may not always be clear.
- Integrate the hardware under test with Labview based test stations.
- Support production line bring-up and optimizations of the testing strategies used on the manufacturing floor.
- Passionately doing all of the above!
- Fluent in C programming language.
- Understanding of CPU architectures (ARM)
- Experience at register level software for device configuration and initialization.
- Understanding of complex CPU board diagnostics (RAM, ROM, power supplies, communication interfaces)
- Understanding of Linux device drivers for high-speed peripherals.
- Experience in building and using open source toolchain components such as gcc, GNU binutils, and gdb.
- Experience in building apps in Linux, managing the project by GNU Makefile. Understanding threads, socket.
- Experience with source code control and defect tracking systems.
- Experience in using various hardware and software debugging techniques including JTAG debuggers and emulators.
- Experience, from the CPU, board and device level, with modern subsystems and peripherals including but not limited to DDR SDRAM, NAND Flash, PCI Express, 10Mbps/100Mbps/Gigabit Ethernet, I2C and I2S.
- Understanding of peripherals’ protocols especially for I2C/I2S/SPI/PCI, hands on measuring these buses by oscilloscope, debugging the possible failures
- Understanding of system performance profiling and optimization.
- Ability to comprehend schematics and enjoy spending time in a hardware development lab
- Some experience with Labview would be helpful, but not required.
- Experience in developing tools by scripts language such as Linux Shell, Python, Perl would be helpful.
- Experience with testing high volume consumer electronics in a manufacturing environment.
- 2+ years relevant work experience and willingness to travel in Asia domestically and abroad for troubleshooting in the field.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.