Firmware Engineer - Radio Systems
Location: Santa Barbara
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of talent. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Use your knowledge of the C programming language, Linux kernel module development, to be able to make changes to existing concepts and implement new concepts.
- Use your understanding of IEEE 802.11 and preferable Bluetooth / BLE, Zigbee, Z-Wave, LTE, to improve the performance of a point to point wireless connection in corporation with the radio system engineers. This will also include coexistence techniques of any of the above mentioned technologies.
- Develop new concepts to improve overall wireless system performance with the use of Riverbed Modeler (OPNET) simulations.
- Being able to develop plug-ins into the functional code base, to help to collect more advanced metrics of the radio link quality. To support product definition performance of the wireless installed systems (currently WiFi, BT, BLE).
- Be a liaison to the software teams to interface with them and to understand their aspect of the overall software functionality application concerning the Sonos system.
- Expert C developer, with strong problem solving skills.
- Being proficient developing models in Riverbed Modeler (OPNET).
- Experience with developing, optimizing and maintaining embedded systems.
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following:
- Linux kernel development and debugging.
- Having expertise in the area of 802.11, 802.15, 3GPP, wired to wireless network bridging
- Experience using formal development processes and tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrives in fast-paced, results oriented environment.
- 10 to 15 years of experience in software development.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or related discipline.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.