Embedded Platform Software Development Manager
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Coach team members on software development skills, efficiency improvement, leadership responsibilities and help guide their professional development to grow their careers.
- Lead, inspire, and advocate for a team of high performing engineers to do their best work.
- Manage all the stages of sizable engineering projects from concept to design through implementation and release, including system architecture design, staffing allocation, project management and documentation for multiple products concurrently.
- Partner with leaders across the organization, including electrical, radio, mechanical and acoustics engineering, hardware verification and diagnostics, UX and ID, as well as application software, to develop processes and strategies for producing new features and products that delight our customers.
- Work closely with CPU and radio SoC vendors to introduce cutting edge technologies to our products.
- Work closely with our overseas JDM & ODM partners in delivering new and cost reduction products in our fast-growing smart sound system portfolio with progressively shortening development cycles.
- Focus on delivering the highest quality software through manual and automation testing, as well as using telemetry to understand real-world usage to drive product improvements.
- 5+ years of experience in embedded software development with at least 3+ years of leading teams.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively.
- Track record of shipping reliable, extensible and maintainable software systems at scale.
- Working knowledge of modern CPU architectures, such as ARM based SoCs, and WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular chip architectures, as well as data link and network layer protocols.
- Experience with Linux and RTOS system platform development in a resource constrained environment, including Linux kernel and uboot bring-up for new hardware platforms, device driver development for high-speed peripherals, buses, capacitive sensors, volatile/non-volatile memory ICs, and batteries.
- Experience with open source software and Linux kernel upgrade.
- Experience with C and C++.
- Experience with building and using open source toolchain components such as gcc, GNU binutils, and gdb.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline; or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with low power and mobile system development.
- Experience with various debugging techniques including JTAG debuggers.
- Experience with radio (WiFi & Bluetooth) chips.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.