Data Test Engineer
Department: Platforms and Infrastructure
Location: Boston, Santa Barbara, Seattle
At Sonos, we are passionate about bringing music into every home. To fulfill this mission, we have developed an unquenchable thirst for data. We use data to understand how our products are performing, which features need to be improved, design future products, optimize our supply chain and sales channel performance, and learn how our customers experience music in their homes.
Sonos has mountains of data, but that data is only useful if it is collected, stored and presented accurately. As a Senior Test Engineer on our Enterprise Supply Chain Systems & Data Team, you will be responsible for performing data analysis, discovering data anomalies, generating test data, and implementing data quality improvements while participating in an Agile environment. You will be working closely with end users, ETL developers, Data Architects, Report Developers and functional teams.
In addition to being an accomplished tester, the perfect candidate will also be an excellent teacher, and will help the entire team test better. You will be responsible for communicating risks, helping your fellow developers find inconsistencies in the code, and ultimately insure our commitments are delivered completely.
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
- Support the design and development of a test data strategy to perform environment, data quality, and system integration validation; including database/backend testing and ETL.
- Help define the high level testing strategy for Sonos’ Data Team (goals, documentation, definition of success, coverage mapping, etc.).
- Contribute to the creation of a scalable automation framework that exercises all appropriate parts of the data chain with a focus on configurability, low complexity, and test case reuse.
- Define and document testing best practices for the team.
- Mentor team members on software testing techniques and technology.
- Perform peer test plan reviews.
- Demonstrate flexibility as needed.
- Participate in manual testing, firefighting, and troubleshooting when required.
- Ideal candidate should have 5+ years of QA testing experience with strong SQL development background, including hands on experience in ETL testing and validation of a Data Warehouse containing multiple data sources.
- Proficient in designing SQL to validate ETL.
- Experience with ETL tools - knowledge in Microsoft SQL Server and SSIS is a must have.
- Working in sales and manufacturing data.
- Develop ETL test scripts based on technical specifications/Data design documents and source to target mappings.
- Validating target tables with record counts, duplicate data, reconcile counts with source and data type.
- Experience in writing complex SQL scripts for data validation.
- Demonstrated experience in test data preparation.
- Demonstrated experience with understanding the business requirements and test cases to generate large volumes of test data to support the requirements and test case.
- Passion and ability for solving intractable problems. Superior critical thinking skills.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience working in a Scrum/Agile environment.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.